Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"T" Day November 24, 2011 - Living The Dream - Giving Thanks :-)

Jour de l'Action de grâce - as the French Canadians say. For the English speaking it is - Day of Thanksgiving. Which by the way is celebrated the 2nd Tuesday of October - coinciding with USA Columbus or Discoverers Day.

I/we would like to take this opportunity to say thanks to all of you - just how many get this note you ask? About 250 addressees from around the world.  I feel both like I am living the dream, or better yet, living in the dream.  For me, I say thanks everyday for a chance to live my dreams.

Many thanks to my traveling comrades for both the Italy and Istanbul trip. Without your pleasant company and conversation it would have just been a "nice bus ride" though some wonderful places.

Thanks to our key guides.  Claudio Mollo in Italy.  Your colorful descriptions of both Roman and Greek history have prompted me to learn more about the places and people that shared such a rich history.

To help me gain more insight, found two books that get me on my start for more adventures through learning.

Pompeii: A Guide to the Ancient City - Salvatoro Nappo (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Pompeii-Guide-Ancient-Salvatoro-Nappo/dp/0760756201/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321996425&sr=1-2

Herculaneum: Italy's Buried Treasure - Joseph Deiss (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Herculaneum-Italys-Treasure-Joseph-Deiss/dp/0892361646/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Our informative and inspirational guide in Istanbul, Reyan Tuvi, also prompted me to learn more.  Was fortunate enough to receive a televised broadcast of a Canadian TV program regarding an archeological excavation under the Bosphorus Straits.

The Nature of Things – The Emperors Lost Harbour

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/emperors-lost-harbour.html

The program covers the building of an underwater railway tube – almost 100 feet under the waters surface.  Sort of like the one between the UK and France.  While excavating near shore, there were found artifacts dating back to before the 7th century AD.  As with the things I learned about the artifacts of Pompeii and Herculaneum, this shows how interconnected the world has been for many centuries.

So whether we think of ourselves as; family, tribes, clans, whatever, we are all part of this big blue globe.

If anyone else has an online photo album of either tour and would like to share, let me know and I will add to this page.

Be well, may we meet again;

- Marion & Carol